Monday, March 23, 2009

Whales, Dioramas, and Dramas


New wallpaper for someone's bathroom. ------------->

On brown carpeted floor, MY NEW ROOM, Los Feliz, CA, USA, the WORLD:

I’m now down the middle of the book and I’ve come up with an idea…

When I was in grade school, I was a pretty good student in that I loved new things. Really, all things but math. Math was like a genre of music… or film that I just innately didn’t like… umm, like spaghetti westerns or Romantic Dramadies geared toward a women exclusive audience. So getting into math was like sitting through a crap-tastic movie like the “Jane Austen Book Club” and trying to convince myself that it’s “ok”, and I different world/perspective that would somehow make me a more well rounded person by trying to understand it. Well, I understand that crap is crap… that’s too harsh… maybe that some perspectives are incompatible with one’s intrinsic self, tastes. BUT, I do taste art. Mmm mmm good. When it came ‘round to project time, this boy was all about making shoe box dioramas.
Now I’ve always thought books deserved the kind of publicity that movie and TV shows got. I remembering after reading Herman Hesse’s Narcissus and Goldmund, or Tom Robbin’s Still Life with Woodpecker, I would be designing posters in my head to be displayed on marquees, bus stops, and nowadays on Hulu every 15 minutes during a episode of “Lost” or something. All great works of art deserve pervasive and effective marketing. But alas, books get the shaft like most non visual media, most commercial for books are lame… just the book spinning into frame with a deep throated man synopsizing why it’s a sexy read… usually these books are suspense thrillers. Blech.
The more I read “the Whale” book, the more I get drawn to the action packed read rather than a heavy handed message about ecology. Sure, the elements are there, but they are woven in concert and compliment with some real fun characters. SO yeah, I like this book. Make no mistake, it’s not War and Peace or a Moveable Feast, but it would be tedious and laborious if all books were. If I could place a filmic genre to it, it’d be closer to action/adventure and I really truly love it for this. When it comes to mediums in art, books tend to be the haven for easy, unchecked snobbery. However no genre of story telling has hegemony over the whole art does it? There is a time and place for “Schindler’s List” and “Requiem for a Dream”, for “Dumb and Dumber” and “Die Hard”, for “Love Actually” and “Hedwig and the Angry Inch”. There is never time for: “Roger Dodger”, “Mama Mia!”… and yes, “The Jane Austen Book Club”… even Mr. Darcy would rather watch “Jackass” then that contrived crap fest.
SO: I’m making a diorama-ed, film trailer of this book, this mystery book I found in a brown bag weeks ago, which the authors begrudgingly let me keep till I finished reading, whom now seem supportive of my exploration with it. And why not, I like it. Well, I’m gonna get back to reading it, then work some more on the trailer. So far so good…. I can’t wait to show you all!
Love and Kogi Koreann BBQ Taco Trucks,
Eugene
PS: Save the Whales Please. And while you’re at it, the rest of the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment